- 30 Jan 2024
- 4 Minutes to read
Transfer Invoices To QuickBooks Desktop
- Updated on 30 Jan 2024
- 4 Minutes to read
Transfer Invoices to QuickBooks is performed in the Generations Interface for QuickBooks. This pushes your billing information to QuickBooks and create invoices that you can send to Clients.
- To create invoices, you must have Timesheets for the time period. We strongly recommend you review Billing and Payroll in Detail to fully understand the process.
- Mileage and similar Other Expenses can be entered on Schedules or in Edit Timesheets.
Watch a video about transferring invoices to QuickBooks.
To determine the format Generations uses when creating invoices in QuickBooks, browse to Admin > Company Settings > QuickBooks.
- Review the Invoice Line Item Descriptions and decide which is appropriate for your company; the most popular choice seems to be "Date, Service, Caregiver, Shift."
- This typically only needs to be done one time.
Explore The Screen
- Client: A list of your Clients in Generations. Use your control and shift keys to select multiple people.
- Show Inactive Clients: Click to show inactive Clients.
- Select All: Click to select all clients.
- Client Type: The Client Type Master List which is useful for grouping Clients for billing purposes.
- Location ID: The Locations Master List. Typically used when there are multiple offices to indicate to which office a Client is associated.
- Date From and Thru: The dates to include in this billing.
- Invoice Date: The date for this batch of invoice.
- Client Payor: The Payor Master List.
- Class Tracking: Refers to the Class Master Listin Generations and Class Tracking in QuickBooks; this is only utilized if you have Class Tracking enabled in QuickBooks. The options are:
- Assigned to Caregivers This is the default and uses the Class assigned to your Caregivers in Generations.
- Location ID Assigned to Clients Uses the Location ID assigned to Clients. Selecting this option allows you to run reports in QuickBooks by the Client or by where the service was performed.
- Select one Class This option is good if you are transferring invoices for a specific office.
- Tax Code (Canada Only): Select one. This menu only appears if you use the Canadian version of QuickBooks Online. Indicate HST status on the Client Personal Data page.
- Select Specific Services: Your Service Code Master List. Allows you to only bill for specific Service Codes.
- Abbreviate Caregiver Last Name: Abbreviates the Caregiver's last names on invoices.
- Invoice Message: Add a message that will appear on invoices.
- Get QB Messages: Click to get QuickBooks messages.
- Add New Message: Type your message in the blank box, and then click to add that message to the available list.
- Invoice Delivery: Select as desired.
- Use QB Customer Preferred delivery method: If checked, uses the preferred delivery method in QuickBooks.
- Rec'd Timecards Only: This refers to the optional Received Timesheets box in Edit Timesheets. If you place a checkmark here, only Timesheets marked as Received will transfer.
- Rollup QB Jobs to Single Invoice: If your clients are set up as jobs in QuickBooks, this option rolls them up to one invoice. Useful if your agency provides service to many Clients at a facility and then sends one bill to the facility versus sending bills to individual Clients.
- Invoice at 4 units/Hour: Allows you to invoice for fifteen (15) minute increments by showing four units per hour.
- Add invoice details to memo field (appears on statements): When running Statements in QuickBooks, this option will add the invoice details into the Memo field.
- Estimate: Select to create an estimate in QuickBooks.
- Separate invoices by service and caregiver: Creates a separate invoice per service and caregiver.
- Add Timesheet Notes to Line Items: Select this to add notes on Timesheets to line items.
- Un-billed only (QB): Checked by default to ensure you don’t double bill a Client. When you create invoices, the Timesheets for those invoices are marked as billed in Edit Timesheets.
- Disable Auditing: This is used for troubleshooting by Generations support.
- Separate invoices by service: Creates a separate invoice per service.
- Mark Timesheets as billed: Checked by default. When you create invoices, the Timesheets for those invoices are marked as billed in Edit Timesheets.
- OK: Click to begin the transfer.
- Close: Click to close this screen.
How To Transfer Invoices
- Select Clients. Use your control and shift keys to select multiple people. Note that at the bottom of the screen you can also "Show Inactive", "Select All," and "Clear Selection."
- Set other parameters as desired. Here we're transferring an invoice for client Frankie Gallet.
- Click OK and auditing begins.
- The interface verifies that the following items are in your QuickBooks company file: Service Codes, Clients, Caregivers, and any other information being transferred.
- You may receive a pop-up to add items and/or a report of items that need to be fixed to ensure a successful transfer of data.
- Here's an example of a pop-up saying that a service code is not linked. It is asking you to find and select the appropriate GL account.
- Here is an example of a report saying that the service code is not linked. To remedy this, you must form a link. And - in this case - you would go to Export Data to QuickBooks, select the data element of Service Code, find this service, and link Attendant Care 2023 to the appropriate GL Account. Then come back to invoice transfer and try again.
You are notified that the invoices have been validated for exporting. Click yes to proceed or no to cancel.
Data for invoices is transferred to QuickBooks and invoices are created.
- You are notified that the transfer was successful and that Timesheets were marked as billed.
- Review the invoices in QuickBooks and process according to your agency's procedures.
- Terms default to the terms defined in each customer's information within QuickBooks.